Thursday 2 September 2010

Career Starting Tips - Questions to Ask Yourself

















My professor at uni asked me to present for the new graduates, so I thought I get clever and discuss two fundamental questions I think many employers these days ask fresh graduates and so I thought I could put some structure to this. If you're at an early stage in your career, just out of uni, thinking where and how to start applying, maybe you can start getting your roadmap right by asking yourself the following questions:

  1. Do you want to utilize and enrich a certain skill set or do you want to grow experience in a particular industry ?
  2. Do you want to start at entry level at a large firm and work your way up, or do you want to join a small firm at a pivotal role?
The diagram above shows the four possible responses to the questions and I'll describe below their descriptions and impacts as far as my brief experience in the market has been.

Skill set specific job in a small firm - 

Skill set specific job in a large firm - 

Industry specific job in a small firm - 

Industry specific
job in a large firm - 



No comments: