Saturday 28 November 2009

Pseudo Independence

Another concept I came up with while trying to explain trends that annoy me –
"pseudoindependence"

I see the media today, in fact how it's been for the last decade, and I get the vibe that woman empowerment themes has gone a long distance and elevated our society but has created a somewhat false sense of independence in women.

This is either the chauvinist in me that's saying this or the cynical orthodox, but I get the impression that women these days feel they could live without a partner of their opposite sex. I'm probably wrong but that's my impression of movies and tv shows that portray women living happy lives without being in a committed relationship sponsor a false sense of assurance to every day women.

So lets be scientific here : the effects i observe are more casually changing partners. Divorce cases. Agree with me , we hear about more divorces these days. And the cause I consider : listen to some of the lyrics these days , where the lead girl is saying she's 'sorry' she's seeing some other and doesn't want to lie to her man. Jeez - and given these women are role models what they preach can never be wrong.

Now I'm not just speaking so we guys have the upperhand. I've heard women confess they're unhappy because they felt they were confident they could live the rest of their lives in the company of friends and frequent flings. Sadly it doesn't work that way - I've probably provoked any one reading to a lot of arguments but maybe I'm inviting them because I need logical defence from protagonists in this area.

2 comments:

Faisal "X" Khan said...

Interesting!

Anika said...

Tawhid bhai.... I have seen similar problem (!!!???) in guys too. I know lots of them who are interested in independence (pseudo?) I guess its a natural selection process towards less population (;-))...
The thing is, I personally don't believe that it is any logical to put the blame to either parties... and its is still very obscure... each of the men or women seeking this extra bit of independence has got their own stories. So how can you generalize this issue?